The start of a new year means it's time to start thinking about filing last year’s taxes.

If you received Social Security benefits in 2021, one of the documents you will need is an SSA-1099. The SSA-1099 shows how much you received from Social Security as well as any voluntary tax withholding if applicable. You’ll need these figures for your tax return. Jack Myers with Social Security says you should receive your SSA-1099 in the mail this month, so be on the lookout for it.

Cut: :23 CUE: February

If you need a replacement SSA-1099 you can get one online via your mySocialSecurity account after February 1st at, or you can call Social Security at 800-772-1213. You will not receive an SSA-1099 if you only received Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits in 2021.