Adding to the complexity of the farming operation, corn and soybean growers will be faced with a multitude of trait options as they prepare for the 2021 growing season and beyond.
The positive news is that these traits allow for multiple options for weed and insect control.
Soybean traits – the older and newer players in the field
- Roundup Ready 2 Yield - features glyphosate resistance from Bayer.
- Liberty Link – features glufosinate resistance from BASF.
- Roundup Ready 2 Xtend – features glyphosate and dicamba resistance from Bayer. Only labeled dicamba products can be used on this trait.
- Liberty Link GT27 – features glyphosate, glufosinate and a third HPPD/Group 27 herbicide isoxaflutole (pending state/county regulatory approvals) resistance from BASF.
- Enlist E3 – features glyphosate, glufosinate and 2,4-D Choline resistance from Corteva Agriscience. Enlist One and Enlist Duo herbicides are the only 2,4-D herbicides labeled to be used with Enlist soybeans.
- XtendFlex – features glyphosate, glufosinate and dicamba resistance from Bayer. Only labeled dicamba products can be used on this trait.
Corn traits – the newer players to the field
- SmartStax PRO - Bayer’s third generation corn rootworm trait (MON 87411), a component of SmartStax® PRO Technology, received approval from China’s Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs Commission for import and food/feed use. This will be the first product offering three modes of action for corn rootworm control and is on track for a U.S. commercial introduction in 2022. This new product combines the proven benefits of SmartStax® Technology and features an additional, unique RNAi-based mode of action for corn rootworm control.
- Trecepta – Three unique modes of action, for maximum protection from damage caused by aboveground feeding pests, including corn borer, corn earworm, fall armyworm, black cutworm and western bean cutworm.
- Agrisure Duracade – features a unique mode of action that controls corn rootworm differently than the other rootworm traits on the market from Syngenta. The Duracade protein binds to a different receptor site in the corn rootworm digestive track.
- Qrome - features a novel molecular stack of Herculex 1 and Herculex RW from Corteva Agriscience.
- PowerCore Enlist – features three aboveground insect traits and brings tolerance to glyphosate, glufosinate and 2,4-D Choline herbicides from Corteva Agriscience. The RIB portion is still pending full regulatory approval.
Although these trait options are exciting for grower choice, they can be overwhelming. The FS System is proud to have agronomic experts available to help growers navigate the future of agriculture. Talk to your local FS Crop Specialist about the right corn and soybean products to bring to you the highest profit potential and agronomic advantage for your farming operation.