View from the Road

As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, agencies frequently announce waivers and exemptions.

With those announcements come myths and false interpretations of how the waivers apply to agriculture. The confusion associated with reading and interpreting these waivers costs precious time.

When I speak to farmers, I always say the greatest takeaway is contact information. If you forget the material, you need to know where to ask questions.

So, this month I want to focus on contact information. Here are three important contacts to know:

1) The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). The FMCSA writes and regulates the rules associated with trucks and trucking. When you hear terms like “hours of service,” “medical cards” and “USDOT number,” FMCSA oversees those regulations.

Much of the relief from truck regulations comes by waiver from the FMCSA. The FMCSA has developed a website dedicated to COVID-19 related information and waivers at

2) The Illinois Secretary of State’s Office. This office is in charge of vehicle and driver services for the state. It's what most people refer to as the DMV. In Illinois the “DMV” is not called the DMV, rather the Secretary of State’s Office.

They process and provide testing for driver’s licenses, license plates and a host of other processing and licensing capabilities. Although these offices are currently closed, processing of certain licenses and registrations continue. The Secretary of State’s office has also created fact sheets and a list of operations they are still performing at

3) Me. I can be contacted at and can help work through questions you might have.

If you have questions, never hesitate to ask. Most importantly, be safe out there.